Saturday, April 26, 2008

Our flooded basement apartment...






Wednesday April 23, I had just finished my last final for the semester, right in time too because later that day I was in for a big surprise. When I got home from work later on around 5:30, I walked in through the kitchen to the fridge, and while opening the door, I realized that I was standing in water. My first thought was that the fridge or freezer door had been left open and something melted. But as I followed the growing puddle of water, I saw that it not only went into the washroom, but onto the carpet in our living room as well. Still baffled by what had caused so much water to cover the entire floor, I moved to the window and saw that a rock dish and a potted plant were completely full of water, being at least four feet off the ground. Then, looking up I saw where the problem was. The ceiling was bowed down, and had obvious water damage, as well as soggy sheet rock all around the window casing. After a few minutes of thinking, and a couple phone calls, it was determined that some construction workers outside had turned on the water faucet outside the house, even though they were specifically told by the upstairs tenants not to because it was broken and would flood the basement. The days following have been absolutely crazy-from ripping up carpet and soggy floor padding, to moving out half the house in a few hours to let the flood restoration people start drying it all up, we've had our hands full.

3 comments:

Lianne said...

Oh man! I kept waiting for you to post again, but that sucks way bad! I'm sorry to hear that. I can imagine that that was not a fun day. I hope that you guys didn't have a lot of stuff get ruined. I'm sorry to hear that!

allie said...

you could be a detective! That is such a bummer. Okay there is a sign.... you should just move out :o) and come to AZ

jenny t said...

Oh no! That sucks so bad! I'm sorry, I hate having to deal with random crappy things like that. I hope nothing is destroyed that can't be replaced.