Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dresser Redo for Nursery

We bought the dresser for $10 off of KSL from a girl at BYU who was moving out, my guess is she doesn't know what antiques are. This is what it originally looked like, it was in pretty bad shape, almost to the point of no return. 
One of the sides, we completely replaced both sides by covering it with Masonite and then painting it.
Tim scraped off the wood veneer that just wouldn't be fixed, bummer because it was birds eye maple .
I had been hoping for a piece of furniture that I could finally use these knobs I got on clearance at Hobby Lobby a few years ago, and since I didn't want to make this piece a baby only piece, they were perfect.
More scraping...

Tim had to use a ton of glue and clamping to help the drawers back into shape. They were terribly warped.
After all the repairs, we are ready to paint, you can see the Masonite on the side, and the bottom part where he scraped everything but the few squares. 

After
Had to leave the legs, the wood is so cool and the casters are original, they are made out of wood too.

The drawers were a bit scary, so I decoupaged them with street maps from Walmart. 

decoupaged

3 comments:

Ashlie Grow said...

I love love love the dresser! It looks professionally restored. nice work! :-)

Melyssa said...

You are incredible, Audra! That dresser looks fabulous! I absolutely love it. You definitely have a major talent in refurbishing and creating masterpieces!

S&M said...

you guys are so cool!!! I love this!!!